Pages

Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Yarn Along and a Finished knit




With the passing of Elie Wiesel over the weekend,  I dug out my copy of his book Night. It is a deeply moving and poignant account of his time in Auschwitz and Buchenwald concentration camps. 

"Man's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn" and that is something we should never forget. 

Although at 128 pages long it is a relatively short book Night certainly makes much more of an impact than many lengthier tomes and definitely a work everyone with even a passing interest in WWII (or general history, biographies etc) should read.

As requested I'm knitting a purple and pink monkey for Miss S. The pattern is Jacobus and I had forgotten just how great it is. I knit one if these monkey's about 5 years ago when I was expecting Mr A. The pattern is designed to knit in any yarn weight and it has an extensive photo tutorial to guide you every step of the way. There's patterns for a dress or overalls too but I think I'll let Miss S decide if her monkey needs an outfit. I may just sew or knit a different instead.

I finished up the dress for Miss S. She picked out some Russian dolls buttons and gave it a test twirl. Miss S *loves* pockets, so I'm thinking about adding some.
I made a couple of adjustments to the pattern. Miss S measured about half way between the 2-3 and 4-5 sizes, so I used a slightly tighter gauge of 15 stitches to 10 cm and the stitch count for the 4-5 size hoping to get something closer to 3-4. As she's quite tall I also added about an inch to the length to make it more of a dress than a tunic. Of course this will give more growing room and longer wear too. I cast on an extra two stitches over each sleeve, as suggested in several other Ravellers project notes. Instead of crocheting on button loops later I cast on 6 extra stitches (3 at the beginning of the first two yoke rows) to make a button band. 



Pattern: Plain Tunic from Sweet Pickles
Yarn: Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky (colourway 026), approx 395 m

3 comments:

  1. Super cute! That is exactly the sort of dress project I like to make for my girls too. I made them several In Threes cardigans this winter (similar idea with the yoked top). I should crack out a dress as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added that book to my must read list, thank you for talking about it. The tunic is lovely and so perfectly modelled :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tunic is absolutely adorable. I had to look him up. Incredible what he has been through and contributed in this world about acknowledgement and compassion to the plight of the Jewish people in concentration camps.

    ReplyDelete