Pages

Friday, 25 March 2016

Crazy crayons

Anyone with young kids will likely know how many broken crayons you'll accumulate! Rather than throw them out I've collected them over time and last week I finally got around to recycling them into new crayons.

First, I took all the papers off, I had mostly been doing this as I collected them but there were a few I missed. I then broke them into smaller pieces and put them into a mini muffin tin, using cases to make it easier to pop them out. I sorted them by colour but you could mix them.


I then popped them in the oven at 130 C for around 5 - 7 min. It may take a bit more time if you have bigger pieces. Just keep a watch on them until they've completely melted. Once they were done I took them out and let them cool and set. This didn't take long as they were small, maybe 20 min.
Once cooled I popped them out of the tin and peeled off the cases and we have new crayons. 

As the crayons are non-toxic there's no need to have a tray specifically for crayon melting use (although that's fine too!), a good scrub in hot, soapy water or in the dishwasher and it's good for food use again.

No comments:

Post a Comment