Pages

Sunday, 31 January 2016

Dressing up

Last weekend himself brought the bigger kids swimming and then to visit his parents so I had a bit of time to make a few requested additions to the dressing up box. Mr A wanted a superhero mask while Miss S wanted a wand and both wanted a crown. Even though Miss S insisted she didn't want a mask and Mr A didn't want a wand I knew that as soon as they saw what the other one had they'd want one too so I made two of everything. 

For the super hero masks and cuffs (a bonus for the kids) I used  this tutorial. They were very quick to make so making spares/replacements in future will be easy. The part that took the longest was sewing on the velcro by hand.



The crowns were also an easy make. I wanted one that would easy for them to put on themselves (and stay on!) so I used the tutorial on the We Wilsons blog here. The kids picked out the fabrics from my stash and the crown template they wanted. I didn't opt for any embellishments as I was short on time but I'd definitely have lots of fun choosing ribbons, buttons etc in the future.

The magic wands were tricky. A lot of patterns called for wrapping wooden dowels or similar in fabric which for me screamed possible weapon! But then I came across 
this pattern on the Maker*land blog. The entire wand is stuffed so nobody will be hurt when they "accidentally" whacked on the head while been turned into a duck or banana as I can attest to when the kids were giving them a trial run on me! I made a couple of adjustments to the pattern. I made the star out of felt and didn't use the wadding as it was too bulky to turn back through with the felt. Instead I just stuffed it well with toy stuffing using a chopstick to get it into the points. I also made the handle shorter, about 30 cm. 

They were well received when they got home and they got out their capes to complete the ensemble.


Saturday, 2 January 2016

A look back on 2015


It's that time again! I new year has started and it's time to look back on the old year.
In 2015 I completed 37 knitting projects, about the same as 2014, which with 3 kids to run around after is not not bad!

I knit:

11 hats
2 pairs of mittens
6 cardigans
3 vests
3 sweaters
3 toys
2 washcloths
3 pairs of socks
1 baby blanket
1 shawl
1 cowl
1 mug cozy


I've released 5 patterns:

Ballinakill beanie featuring a mock cable detail, available in fingering,  dk and aran weight as well as an ebook of all three. 






I'm carrying 4 wips into the new year, 3 of which have been on the needles since 2014! This year I'm determined to either rip or finish those 3!! I also plan to continue only knitting from stash when at all possible. 

I've made a bit of progress on the sewing front too. In 2015 I made;

2 aprons, 2 teat owes (these barely count as I only had to do a hem), 2 oven mitts and 2 capes - all for Mr A and Miss S for Christmas. 

I also sewed, 
1 quilt
8 bookmarks,
one set of 6 coasters
1 pair of booties
1 dress


This year I hope to sew some more clothes for the kids as well as at least making a start on quilts for Mr A and Mr C. I will most likely need to pick up some more fabric for the two quilts but I'd like to make a start using what I have in my stash before buying so that I can better decide on what colours I might need.

But I think my best product of 2015 is this little guy....

.... my Mr C.

Happy new year!