Pages

Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Handmade Christmas - part 2

Here's the kids edition of my handmade Christmas!  As Santa is a very busy man, he commissioned me to make some of the presents for the kids.

Mr A and Miss S were getting a kitchen for Christmas so Santa asked me to make some accessories to go with it. Obviously any budding chef needs an apron, oven mitt and tea towel to use so that's what I set out to do.

I wanted to be a bit thrifty and inspired by this blog post, I repurposed an old pair of my jeans into two kiddie sized aprons. I used some cotton tape for the  straps instead of the jeans side seam. To make them more individual I made a very simple patch pocket from some fabric I had in my stash. The flowers for Miss S is some cotton duck from Cath Kidston,  the hippos for Mr A was from IKEA.


 For their tea towels I simply cut one of my old tea towels, which was beginning to develop a hole in the centre, in half and hemmed the cut edge. For the oven mitts, I used this tutorial as a guide. However, instead of using batting I used another old worn out tea towel.


As you can see they and the kitchen went down well Christmas morning.


Santa also made note that Mr A and Miss South both liked having me pin towels to their shoulders so they could be superheros and figured that they really needed proper capes which they would find in their stockings. I used the Super kid cape pattern which is free on Craftsy (thanks for the recommendation Becky!). It's such an easy pattern to sew up, even for a beginner like me! And they're a hit. Although, Miss S pretends to be Elsa about as often as she's a super hero, which she never did with mammy's tea towel capes! Obviously, her new Cape is now suitably swishy. For Mr A I used some royal blue and chevron fabric (speed stripes for a boy that never stops running), and for Miss S, I used red and white polka dot and plain red fabric (a little feminine without being very girly).

Mr C, being only just 3 months today (where has that time gone!?), got something a little smaller. In his stocking Christmas morning he found this little guy.


Pattern: 
Yarn:
Sunshine Yarns Merino Worsted, colourway Crookshanks (with a name like that it had to be a cat right?).  114 m/71 g
Knit Picks Bare Worsted, 54 m/27 g

This is a great pattern with lots of photos and step by step assembly instructions. He's already been chewed on a bit so I think he's going to be (and already is) a well loved toy.

As you can see I had a busy handmade Christmas but it was all worth it!


2 comments:

  1. Everything is just beautiful Ber, thanks so much for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a lot of fun to make even though my machine decided to act up for about a week in the middle of everything.

      Delete