Pages

Friday, 26 December 2014

Crafty Christmas!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Now that the busyness of yesterday is over I have a few minutes to show you the few gifts that I crafted this year.


First up, I made a quilt for my Mam. It was nothing too fancy, just my take on a jelly roll quilt. I wanted to make a quilt that would be big enough to fit my parents bed so instead of going out and buying several jelly rolls, I had a look through my stash and found some fabrics that would work with the colour scheme in my parents bedroom. I then cut the fabric into (I think) 4 inch strips. These strips were then sewn together to make the top. The fabric I used was sent to me by Diana (grandmabuck - rav ID) as RAK in the Itty Bitty Knitters group on ravelry. For the backing I use an old cotton bed sheet so I didn't have to worry about sewing pieces together to have a wide enough piece of fabric. So quite a thrifty present as I only had to buy the wadding!


It worked out well and my mother loves it! The only thing I would change is the binding. Just because of time limits I decided to machine sew the back of the binding down and it's not as neat as it would have been if I had hand sewn it. It finished up at approximately 1.8 m x 1.8 m (about 5' 11" x 5' 11", I think). Himself is doing a very good job at holding it up in the photo, he's 6' so that gives you a good idea of the size.



 Next up are some stocking fillers that Santa commissioned me to do. 

The little man is ever so slightly crazy about Fireman Sam so I managed to get hold of pattern to knit one! It's by Alan Dart which of course means lots of seaming and lots of pieces. I avoided most of the seaming by knitting it mostly in the round but there were still plenty of pieces! The pattern was based on Fireman Sam of the 90's and his uniform has changed slightly since then so I made some changes to the colours etc to make it work.
 


Finally, the little lady also needed something.

Meet Tilly, a cute little doll from Sewn Toy Tales. I've made one other toy from this book (blogged here). Again I found the step by step instructions very clear and perfect for the novice. I changed things slightly in that I gave Tilly a dress which I adapted from one of the other toys in the book and I put elastic in the waistband and cuffs of her bloomers instead of running embroidery floss through like it described. Again, the fabric all came from stash. The plain fabric I used for her hair and skin were given to me for my birthday a few years ago by my sister in law E. Her blouse fabric was again a RAK from Diana. The sparkly fabric (yes SPARKLY!!!) I used for her dress and tights were another RAK, this time from Judi (zowman). The purple fabric I used for her bloomers was a fat quarter I bought in The Cottonwood tree.


 

Santa was also bringing a pram for the little lady's dollies so a wee quilt to keep them warm was needed. This was straight forward enough, two fat quarters sewn together with some polyester wadding and bound with some satin binding. This also had some IBKers input! The kiddy fabric for the front was from Amber (amdezo) in the Earth day mini-swap last year, and the binding was from Katherine (kmacmillian2003) early this year when I couldn't find some for a baby quilt I was making!


Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Doris

I'm back with another test knit or rather two. Again they're designed by Kelly Brooker.First up is My Aunt Doris is a pretty little cardigan. It has a round yoke, lace fronts and elbow length sleeves. The lace is a very pretty and very simple (read easily memorised) design but really gives the cardigan an even more girly feel. 

The pattern instructions were very clear and it's  written for 16 sizes (newborn to 10 years). It calls for DK yarn and as I've been mostly knitting from stash the amount of DK I have is fairly limited by now but I was lucky enough to find some Cushendale yarn in Haw which as I'd planned on this being the little lady's Christmas cardy was perfect!

I knit the 52.5 cm (apprx 18-24 months) size and used 164 g (328 m).


The second pattern was a matching hat, Dainty Doris. It's written for 3 yarn weights (fingering, DK and worsted) in 7 sizes. It incorporates the lace design from My Aunt Doris and can be knit as a beanie or slouch.

I knit the 45 cm size beanie in DK and used the yarn I had left over from the cardy. It took just 35 g (70 m) and is just adorable.

The hat was designed by Kelly for the Red Riding Hood Yarns 2014 Winter Yarn Club and it's description is beyond perfect - 

"The 1950’s woman effortlessly blended femininity and practicality to create a style unlike any other in the 20th century. Dainty Doris mimics the talent of those 50’s women; a beanie or slouch with elegant lace, simple enough for a time-poor housewife and mama to whip up."

That's everything that this hat is!


The patterns aren't released just yet but they should be coming in Spring 2015 so keep watch!