Pages

Sunday, 31 August 2014

Up cycling.

Towards the end of last year I was lucky enough to receive a car load of hand me down clothes for the little lady from the sister of a girl I used to work with. When I saw car load I quite literally mean a car load. I even gave boxes of stuff to my sister in law, a cousin and two friends and the little lady still has more clothes than I do and will be well dressed up until she's about 4! 

In there was a very pretty handmade off-white corduroy dress with a bow on the front. The dress hung in her wardrobe until a couple of weeks ago when I figured she would soon be able to fit into it. I knew that if the dress stayed the colour it was I just wouldn't put it on her  after all, who can keep a white dress clean on a 1 year old?? Because if you can then you're a miracle worker! There was also a little stain near the hem that hadn't come out with treatment/washing. So I decided to dye it. I picked up some Dylon fabric dye in French Lavender and the result was more porcelain blue than lavender but I quite like it and it also hid the stain well!! (Of course I forgot to take a before dyeing photo).

The bow on the front was a bit off centre and at an angle which I knew was going to annoy me every time I saw it so I had planned on taking it off and centring it but when I took it off the bow just wasn't doing it for me so I left it. There was a little mark on the fabric where the bow had been which needed to be covered up. I searched through me ribbon box, knowing I had just the right kind of lace trim that would work and with help from himself I found some very jazzy buttons in my button jar.

A little bit of hand sewing and the mark was covered up.



So for the cost of some fabric dye and the time it took me to find and sew on some lace trim and buttons a new dress was born.


I have been contemplating adding a white Peter Pan collar but I haven't made up my mind yet. The little lady but she's wearing it today over a t-shirt that has a collar to help me decide. It looks well but I'm still not sure. Anyone got any thoughts on the matter?

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Sprinkling Test Knit

I've just completed another test knit for Kelly Brooker.


Sprinkling is a cute little unisex slim fit vest. It's written in 3 yarn weights (fingering, DK and worsted) and 16 sizes (newborn to 10 years) so a wonderful pattern as to be expected from Kelly. 



I knit the 55 cm (3 years) size in Cascade Yarns Heritage Paints sock yarn in Isle of Skye, which is a beautiful semi-solid blue/purple combination. The contrast yarn was an orange mini-skein I received from Becky in the Itty Bitty Knitters group Rainbow themed Swap on Ravelry. It only took about 69 g (276 m) of the main colour and about 6 g of contrast colour. 

Quick Change trousers

I've been sewing again. Last week I whipped up a pair of QUick Change Trousers for the Little Lady. Again the pattern was from  Handmade Beginnings by Anna Maria Horner. These are a very cute pair of reversible trousers. The extra length allows for the leg to be turned up to show the reverse fabric but also means that they'll be in use for quite a while. If (or maybe when!) I make these again, the only thing I would do differently is to make the waistband wider. It's only a little over half an inch which I think is a bit narrow for active toddlers. I think 1 inch would be much better.







The little lady seems to be happy enough with them.