Pages

Sunday, 13 April 2014

Rathcoran

I've just released a new hat pattern. Rathcoran is a colourwork beanie in sizes 0-6 months up to Adult Large, knitted in Worsted/Aran weight yarn.

I knit a hat as part of the Fuego MKAL for my brother at the beginning of the year and having tried on the result so that I could see if would fit my brother himself requested one. As he rarely makes knitting requests, I happily obliged. He liked the yarn I used for my brothers hat (Malabrigo Worsted in Paris Nights) but wanted to use the colourwork pattern from a hat my sister in law E knit for the little man when he was 6 months old instead of the cables of Fuego. So using the Malabrigo base and some hand dyed yarn for the constrast, I took to working out charts and numbers and Rathcoran is the result. Here he is modelling it! Thanks to E for letting me use her colourwork design!


The name Rathcoran comes from a prehistoric burial cairn (also known locally as "The Pinnacle") on top of the hill here in Baltinglass. I see that from my house everyday and the changing colours of the Malabrigo reminded me of the lichen covered rocks up there on a misty day.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome-looking hat, Ber! I recently took a fair isle workshop and am excited about doing some more colorwork knitting. I think this will be an excellent hat for me to wear this winter. Looking forward to knitting it up!

    ReplyDelete