Pages

Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Baby Knits



Well I'm back at last to show you some of the knits for my little one. The photo above shows most of them. There are a couple that are packed away in my hospital bag ready and waiting for this little one to wear when he or she makes their appearance. I showed you the Sunnyside cardigan in this post so I won't repeat myself here.

First up is the Cuddles and Cables blanket. I knit this before for the little man and I loved the pattern so much it was my go to baby blanket this time too. This time I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK and it took just under 5 balls.

For this little one I was determined to use a lot of my stash yarn.  So for this Gift Wrap Sweater, below, I dug around and found some left over Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran which I thought would work well. 

This is the 12 months size and under 2 balls of the main orange colour and a little over 1 ball of the pale yellow. I did have to buy an extra ball of the main colour as I ran out with just a couple of inches of the second arm and the button band to go. It was my own fault as I had originally planned to knit the 6 months size (and I had enough yarn for that) but managed to follow the instructions for the 12 months size, which I didn't realise until I had the body finished. No problem though as it will be good for the winter,




My next stash buster was this Puerperium in the 0-3 months size. I used South West Trading Company TOFUtsies yarn held double and followed the DK instructions. 


 This Cable yoked cardigan was knit in Rico Design Essentials Merino DK. It knits up quiet small for a 0-6 months size but I like the A-line shape.
I chose Korrigan for the baby's baptism cardigan. I like the cable yoke and it's plain enough that it will go well with my family's baptism gown which is quite lacey. The pattern calls for fingering weight and I wanted to use Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino so I cast on for the 0/1 month size and used the lengths for 3 months. It worked out well I think. The pattern translation wasn't great and I didn't like the construction so I think if I was to knit this again I'd make some changes. 

The hat is The woodcutters baby hat by Kelly Brooker, in Debbie Bliss Rialto leftovers. It's a cute free pattern for a square top hat. It has a leaf cable pattern on either side.



My final knit was some Pepita overalls knit in Sirdar Town & Country 4 ply Sock yarn. The pattern has the legs knit in the round but for easier nappy access I wanted to add a button band at the legs. I also didn't add the socks so as to get a bit longer wear. Before starting the legs I put the crotch stitches onto waste yarn. I then knit the legs flat and rejoined to knit in the round just before the ribbing at the ankle. For the button band, I picked up 74 stitches on the front (including the 21 crotch stiches) and knit 6 rows of 2x2 rib. I did the same for the back. I didn't add button holes as I plan on reinforcing the band with some ribbon and adding snap fasteners. I'm just waiting on the ribbon that I ordered to arrive.

I'm sure you've noticed that these weren't the only knits in the photo at the top of the post! My mother has also been knitting up a storm. This baby may be her 10th grandchild but that hasn't stopped her!! These are from patterns that she's had for many years and knit for all her grandchildren and some of her children too. I think the bottom two patterns probably come from the 70/80's while the one on the right was definitely pre-decimalisation of the Irish currency so the early 1960's or before.





Finally, are these cute booties and the penguin Milo. I received the booties from Amber in the  Earth Day mini swap and the Milo from Mel in the P is for... swap both in the Itty Bitty Knitters group on Ravelry. They are both so cute I can't wait to use them.
Now it's just a waiting game for this little one to decide that he/she want's to meet us as much as we want to meet them!

2 comments:

  1. Your new little one is going to be clothed fit for a king, or queen. Not to mention the love that went into every stitch. These are so wonderful! Your knitting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all of little one's knits. Sarah is going to be well-equipped in little cardigans that were made lovingly for her.

    ReplyDelete