Pages

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Baby Knits for Little Miss A

Way back in February I shared a sneak peak of some knits I did for my sister in laws baby. Well now that my new niece Little Miss A has arrived (a month ago already!!) I thought it was time to share them properly.

First up an owl hat. This is a very cute and simple pattern by Barbara Prime. I knit the 6 months size so it should fit this winter. It took less than half a skein of Spud and Chloe Sweater in Toast.

Next some little cardigans. Both were knit using Debbie Bliss Rialto DK. For the first stripey cardigan, I used a Sirdar pattern which included the option for a cardigan or a waistcoat. I knit this before for little man and found it to be a bit on the small size so I chose the 6-12 months size this time.

It took about 1.5 balls of the dark green and a little over 1 ball of the aqua. So I combined these left overs with some green and knit the Garter Yoke Baby Cardigan. As I was going to do some stripes I changed the garter yoke to just plain stocking stitch. Also as the pattern calls for sport weight and I used DK I added a little bit of length to the body and the sleeves. I'm not sure what the finished measurements were but I think it's about a 9 month ish size. I found the buttons on etsy and they were just the perfect colour and design for this cardigan so I had to get them.



E didn't find out the baby's gender so the knits I did were fairly neutral but once Little Miss A arrived obviously something girly had to be knit before we visited. I chose the Little Sisters Dress and used some Knit Picks bare yarn that I dyed last year. Again, I made some adjustments as I was using DK instead of fingering weight. I used the stitch count for the 3 month size but when I joined to knit in the round I only increased to 167 stitches. After casting off  the sleeve stitches, I joined to knit in the round by casting on 6 stitches under each arm, knit 1 round and increased 2 stitches each side on next round. I then increased 2 stitches each side every 7 rows until 132 stitches. I knit until it measured 30 cm from shoulder and finished by purling 3 rounds before casting off. The finished measurements were, chest 50 cm, length ~ 35 cm, so around 6 months size or a top for an older child maybe.


I'll be back soon with some knits for my little one.

P.S: The photos of the first 3 knits were taken by E. Thanks E!

1 comment:

  1. Love the owl hat! All the knits are wonderful! You always pick the best patterns!

    ReplyDelete