Pages

Monday, 27 August 2012

Chard!

We sowed some chard this year and it has been a huge success!! We've been eating it all summer. Himself bought a plug pack of I think 8 plants for 5 euro so I think we did well. I might try grow it from seed next year. I think it's about the only thing that has done well in the garden this year, along with onions and my herbs! The summer has been so wet that the slugs and snails have taken over and nibbled their way through everything! Because of the cats and the little man I don't like using slug pellets but the beer traps barely make a dent in the population in our garden. They particularly liked my strawberries and French beans! There was an on going battle to pick the strawberries before they got them and well the French beans, only half my plants survived their first day in the garden. We planted them one fine evening and by the following day 5 or 6 plants were basically stalks! Maybe next year will be better for my little garden.

Anyway back to the chard. As there's only so much chard you can eat in a week I decided to freeze some yesterday. I started off with a big bowl of freshly picked chard.

Next, the chard was washed well to remove any dirt and bugs (we don't use pesticides so I didn't want any surprises and thankfully there were none!). I cut off the stem and removed the centre rib, then chopped the leaves into about 1 inch pieces.


Finally, I blanched the leaves in a big pot of bowling water before plunging into cold water to stop the cooking. I did it in several small batches so that after the leaves were added to the boiling water the water would return to the bowl within about 30 seconds. I drained the leaves well and popped them into the a freezer bag. The end result was this.....


This was all done under the watchful eye of a supervisor! Nothing gets past this guy....


There's still plenty of chard to be produced by the garden yet so I will probably doing this again in another few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment