Pages

Friday, 25 May 2012

Mmmmm mushrooms


Last night I found some mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be used before they turned bad so I decided some baked garlic-y herb-y mushrooms would be a good veggie side to go with the BBQ chicken we were having for dinner.

Today, I thought I'd share the "recipe" with you. I'm using "recipe" because I don't have one written down, I kinda eyeball the amounts.

First up, I pre-heated the oven to 180C. Then I arranged the mushrooms in an oven proof dish with the cup up. I had about 16 button mushrooms but use whatever you have, it works really well with those big flat breakfast mushrooms too. Next I added about a tablespoon of olive oil and some butter. I threw in 2 small whole cloves of garlic. This only gives a small hint of garlic, if you want it to be more garlicy (like I usually do) add more garlic cloves or just crush them. Then the herbs. I used some parsley, chives, thyme and rosemary as that's what I had to hand but marjoram works well too. Again, I used about a tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs with a bit kept for sprinkling on top after cooking. You don't want to use a lot of thyme or rosemary as they are quite strong, so I think the mix was about two thirds parsley and chives, one third thyme and rosemary but definitely a lot less rosemary and thyme to the other herbs.  This works just as well with just parsley and chives. The herbs you use is totally up to you. If you don't like one, don't use it. Season with salt and pepper. 

Here's what they looked like before I covered them and put them in the oven.

And after about 10-15 minutes cooking they look like this. Sprinkle a bit of the fresh herb mix over them if you want. We had them with BBQ chicken, baby corn and new season potatoes - yummmmm!


Surprisingly enough we've been having some gloriously sunny and warm weather here the last few days. This is surprising as up until last week we had possibly the coldest May in a long time. We had rain, hail stones, wind and did I mention the hail stones??! Himself, little man and I got trapped in the car a few weeks ago because of the hail stones. They were coming down so hard we couldn't get out of the car to bring the little man into my sister's house. Every time the eased off we'd think "ok we're good to go" then we'd open the car door and they'd come down again! We were at my cousin's wedding 2 weeks ago and up to the day before I was seriously thinking that wearing thermals maybe a good idea. As it turns out they had a beautiful day so the thermals weren't needed!

The weather is perfect for drying clothes outside. No need to be running in and out every ten minutes because it was starting to rain. Well it was perfect for drying clothes until my clothes line broke yesterday :(. We didn't have any cord left to fix it either so I've taken the next best option and set up the clothes horse outside. It has been working a treat. Tomorrow new clothes line cord will be bought, the clothes line will be fixed and I won't have to drag the clothes horse outside but then knowing how Irish weather works, it'll probably rain and I'll still be using the clothes horse only this time - indoors! 



No comments:

Post a Comment