Yesterday we had himself's parents over for dinner. For dessert a did a take on Eve's pudding. For those who don't know, Eve's pudding is a baked dessert consisting of a layer of apples topped with sponge. For my take I used tinned peaches and a chocolate sponge mixture.
The juiciness of the peaches give the chocolate sponge pudding mixture a lovely gooey chocolate-y centre. Here's a photo of it just out of the oven. I didn't think to take one later.
So the recipe:
6 oz / 150g self raising flour
6 oz / 150g butter
6 oz / 150 g sugar
1.5 oz / 38 g cocoa
2 x tins of peaches in juice (although syrup is ok), drained
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C
2. Sift the flour and cocoa together in a bowl.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Mix in the eggs a little at a time with the flour and cocoa.
5. Place the drained peaches in a greased ovenproof pie dish and top with the chocolate pudding mixture.
6. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until sponge is cooked.
7. Leave to cool for 10 minutes or so and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.
Note: The sponge can be made using the all in one method by placing the flour, cocoa, butter, eggs and sugar in a food processor and blending until you get a smooth batter which has a dropping consistency. If you find that the batter is still a bit too stiff add a tiny bit of milk until you get the right dropping consistency.
Oh and I used a 1.6 L pie dish with a 9 or 10 inch diameter.