Pages

Saturday, 24 March 2012

Quilting weekend!

I've finally started little man's quilt! I'm following the quilt-a-long which has been in the Farmer's Journal over the last 9 or so weeks but I'm making doubles of each block to have a bigger quilt. I think it should turn out around 1 m x 2 m or so. For this quilt I'm using a lot of bright colours and some jungle prints as it's for a little boy. What I particularly like about this quilt is the fact that each block is a different design and a different size so it gives a bit of added interest to it.


Firstly, I want to thank a Ravelry friend of mine Diana (grandmabuck on rav). During the week I received a wonderful package of quilting supplies from her including tools and metres and metres of fabric, some of which you will see in the blocks I'm sewing. 


So back to the quilt. As I'm pretty much on catch-up mode for this quilt-a-long, I'm starting at the end and working my way backwards. On Friday, I got out my sewing machine and started on my first blocks. These two "flower and leaf" motif blocks (week 8, block 7), involved a bit of appliqué using some bondaweb. They're not quite finished yet. I'm going to do some blanket stitch around the appliqué to finish it off and so I don't have to worry about it coming apart. I'm really pleased with how they turned out though.





This afternoon, I decided I'd tackle the next couple of blocks. First up the pinwheel blocks which were from week 4 (block 3). These involved a bit more cutting and sewing compared the first ones above but were simple enough to follow, although I did manage to sew the two halves of the green block so that one side was upside down and therefore not a pinwheel. So out came the seam ripper and the second attempt was much more successful. They're not completely square (I'm not sure how that happened) but I think I might be able to get away with it. I could just trim it down a little bit and put a border on to bring it up to size, I think that could work as the blocks above have borders. Or if all else fails and I'm not happy when it comes to putting the quilt together I'll just re-do them.



(Apologies about the quality of the photos, I ended up taking them at a very odd angle.)


Finally, the last set of blocks I sewed this weekend were the hourglass design (week 5, block 4). These had a similar construction to the pinwheel blocks, so I was aware of any mistakes that could happen along the way. I don't particularly like the quality of the gingham fabric I used so I think I'll avoid using it again in the rest of the quilt.







Overall I'm happy with how my first blocks turned out. I'm about half way through the number of blocks I need so, hopefully, over the next few weeks I'll be able to drag my sewing machine out again and do a few more.

3 comments:

  1. It has been lovely following your quilting adventure on your blog. :)

    JaneBG1923

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you're enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous Ber. :0)
    Heatherg7

    ReplyDelete